Sunday, November 16, 2014

Last week turned out to be a very special week. We were able to have some new special experiences. It was a different week than ones we usually have. Course, none of our weeks are ever the same. We make our plans knowing that other things will come up, so being flexible is also part of the plans.

I had an appointment to get my hair cut Monday morning in Gallup. We checked on the truck, and it wasn't ready yet. They said it would probably be done by the afternoon. So later in the day when we went to St. Michael's to visit a sister for her 86th birthday, we decided to just drive the loop and go to Gallup from Window Rock. Yeah, the truck was done.

Tuesday was Veterans Day. Veterans are highly respected on the Reservation. The schools have the day off and all the little communities plan a celebration. Lupton started their day with a parade. It was a cold, windy day to be having a parade, but that didn't deter them. Owen had been invited to join them because they all know he is also a veteran. So we bought a few decorations (flags) for the truck. The parade was suppose to start at 10:00 a.m.; but since Owen likes to be early we were there ready to line up a little after 9:00 a.m. There was only one other truck there and they were in the process of decorating it. I didn't think their parade was going to amount to much. By the time 10 o'clock rolled around, there were a few more vehicles; but, no one seemed in a big hurry to get the parade started. It finally got underway after 11 o'clock. There were two fire trucks, 14 motorcyclists, about 20 decorated vehicles, a float or two, and people lined up along the sides of the road to watch. After the parade, everyone went to the Chapter House where they honored veterans, had several veterans talk, and served a roast beef dinner. There was not even standing room at the Chapter House. Then our two Navajo granddaughters came home with us. They weren't interested in making cookies, but we did play several games.

They finally moved the elders' RV in Tsaile from the trailer park to the yard of the new church. So then we took a day and went to Tsaile to help get the skirting back on and everything set up. Since that project had been planned before we knew we wouldn't be over RVs anymore, we told them that we would help with it. That is probably our last RV duty, unless some other major thing comes up.

A senior couple in our district asked us to go with them to the Snowflake Temple. She is blind and needed someone to help her through the session. We were happy to be able to be able to go along with them. It was a special day, and we really enjoyed the time we spent together and the opportunity of going to the temple. Afterward we went to a quaint restaurant in town. As we walked into the restaurant, we heard someone say, “Oh no, it's the Mormons.” When you hear that, do you keep walking or turn around and leave? We didn't leave, especially when we saw where the comment came from – a pair of young elders sitting there eating their lunch. Crazy guys!

Saturday we had the opportunity of going to the Albuquerque Temple. The Branch President had asked if we would help with transportation for the youth to go do baptisms. We had two twelve-year-old girls going for their very first time and a nineteen-year-old young man with us, and the YW President took her two daughters. One of the young girls is a recent convert. It was so neat to be able to see her in the temple participating in baptisms. We are so proud of her and how much she has grown in the Gospel since we first met her. What a choice experience for her and all of the youth to have. We had a lot of fun visiting and playing a “What If” game during the ride over and back.

We did manage to squeeze in some missionary work, made several visits, and hauled some wood for a family in amongst our goings and comings of the week.

Just a little follow-up on the story I shared last week of a senior elder who had been able to visit with a sister and her family he knew 51 years ago when he was a young elder in this area. The family had asked where his companion, at the time they served in the area, is now. The Elder didn't know. But when he went home, he did some research and was able to find him. He contacted him, and they decided to get together. So he flew in from Montana. Today they both went and visited with the sister and her family. The companion is planning on staying for a few days, so they are going to be able to visit more with the family. So within the last two weeks, not only did he find the special family that he knew when he was here as a young elder, but has also been able to reconnect with his old missionary companion. What an exciting and special experience for all of them.

The Lord continues to bless us, and the adventures in the Lupton area just keep coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment